NRC Event Report

I noticed the attached NRC event report for a contaminated package.  All

hp's who receive radioactive material, especially from abroad, should be

aware of this.

I have one question regarding the licensee response.  They suspect that

the contamination is tritium, and found contaminated carpeting in the

delivery vehicle.  Why did they decon by vacuuming?  No details are

provided, but I assume that they used a commercial vacuum cleaner.  This

would have very efficiently transformed surface contamination into

airborne contamination, since the vacuum cleaner filter would not retain

the tritiated vapor.  The only thing I can think of is that it was

vacuumed through a bubbler or drying agent (e.g. silica gel).  This

would work IFF the tritium is present as water vapor.

Would the licensee be willing to provide more details on this?

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com

General Information or Other                     |Event Number:

39539       |

| REP ORG:  CALIFORNIA RADIATION CONTROL PRGM    |NOTIFICATION DATE:

01/27/2003|

|LICENSEE:  ISOTOPE PRODUCTS LABORATORIES        |NOTIFICATION TIME:

15:16[EST]|

|    CITY:  BURBANK                  REGION:  4  |EVENT DATE:

01/23/2003|

|  COUNTY:  LOS ANGELES               STATE:  CA |EVENT TIME:

16:30[PST]|

|LICENSE#:  CA-1509               AGREEMENT:  Y  |LAST UPDATE DATE:

01/27/2003|

|  DOCKET:

|+----------------------------+

|                                                |PERSON

ORGANIZATION |

|                                                |WILLIAM JONES

R4      |

|                                                |FRED BROWN

NMSS    |

+------------------------------------------------+TIM MCGINTY

IRO     |

| NRC NOTIFIED BY:  ROBERT GREGER                |CREWS

NRC     |

|  HQ OPS OFFICER:  GERRY WAIG                   |JOHN HICKEY

NMSS    |

|EMERGENCY CLASS:          NON EMERGENCY

|                             |

|10 CFR SECTION:

|                             |

|NAGR                     AGREEMENT STATE

|                             |

|                             |

|                             |

|                             |

|                             |

                                   EVENT TEXT

| AGREEMENT STATE REPORT - CONTAMINATED

PACKAGE                                |

| The following is taken from a facsimile from the State of

California:        |

| "On 1/24/03 the RSO [Radiation Safety Officer] @ IPL [Isotope

Products       |

| Laboratories] reported their receipt of a contaminated package. The

package  |

| had been picked up from LAX & delivered to IPL on 1/23 @ 2:25 pm by

Kamino   |

| Int'l Transport, 2580 Santa Fe, Redondo Beach, contact person

[DELETED]. The |

| package was wiped upon receipt, and received the results approximately

4:30  |

| pm. The RSO was notified the next morning. The contamination appears

to be   |

| H-3, although the licensee needs to perform an energy calibration on

their   |

| liquid scintillation counter to verify both this and their

quantification of |

| the package wipes. It appears that all sides of the package

were             |

| contaminated, at up to approximately 100,000 dpm/wipe. The latest

wipes      |

| measured up to approximately 40,000

dpm/wipe.                                |

| "The package came from a company in Switzerland called RC Tritec AG,

who is  |

| a distributor for a Russian company (unknown name at this time).

IPL         |

| believes that the box was trans-shipped, & was never actually at

Tritec, but |

| they're still trying to get Lufthansa's paperwork. IPL is also trying

to get |

| info on the Russian

company.                                                 |

| "IPL had the delivery truck return to IPL, & they found a small area

of      |

| contamination, about 12 X 10 inches, on the carpet, where the package

was    |

| located, of about 800 dpm/wipe. After vacuuming, they got nothing.

About 11  |

| other wipes in the truck were negative. They checked the driver's

gloves-    |

| there's no removable contamination. All wipes @ IPL's Shipping Dept

were     |

| negative. They think there was at least one other package on the truck

that  |

| was destined for an electronics company, but they're still trying to

get     |

| info on that. There was at least one other package for IPL on the

truck that |

| was not contaminated (they're checking to see if it had come from the

same   |

| Russian

company).                                                            |

| "Note: Assuming that the contamination is H-3, the dose consequences

of      |

| 100,000 dpm/wipe are approximately equivalent to the dose consequences

of    |

| 2.5 dpm/wipe of

Cs-137."                                                     |