Quiz: RE(2): Power Plant was declared bankrupt.

Jaro,

350 MW breeder reactor would not be anywhere near

"hundreds of tons."  Such large quantities would

be more typical of the combined stocks of a large

national nuclear program with at least a dozen

large reactors. Also, until the spent fuel is

reprocessed, it remains extremely radioactive,

providing a high degree of self-protection

against theft.

--------------

I agree with the "self protection" factor to a

some degree. I wish that it was the case...

However, let me ask you.

1. What will be dose rates from the U-238=>Pu-239

blanket?

My guess because U-238 is not a thermal neutron

U-235 fuel or MOX where majority dose coming from

the fission products. U-238 is there NOT to

support fission, as you obviously are knowing and

it will not produce as much of the fission

products into the blankets as from U-235 thermal

neutron fission. We may see high dose rates from

the material activation which will go down fast

12 month or so. I would guesstimate, after

several month we wont see any acute gamma dose

rates to have an efficient "self protection

factor", unless millirems are killers and thieves

are antinukes ;-)

2. U-238/Pu-239 are very heavy metals = hundreds

of tons is not a such huge amount to see it as a

stock pile as one may think at first.

As the Quiz's question:

Question: For how many years and how many  of

thermal-Neutron " donor " reactors were working

out to make up the first Pu-239 fuel load for the

BN-350?

A nice weekend for the everyone.

Emil.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com