Re: Radioiodine Therapy - Identification Card?

We do not issue any identification for patients receiving less than 30 mCi (1100 MBq). They are given instruction sheets with precautions and contact numbers at the hospital. For outpatient therapy greater than 30 mCi we are looking at a hospital wrist band that indicates the patient contains radioactive material and has an emergency contact number. They would wear this for five days following the treatment dose. Incidentally, the band would not have a radiation symbol, just simple text. They are also given instruction sheets with precautions, and contact numbers. There would still be activity following the five days but this may help in the initial period when most of the activity is in the patient.
In my opinion only.
Gary Wilson
Radiation Safety Officer
Capital Health
Halifax, Nova Scotia

>>> "William A. Lorenzen" <William.Lorenzen@TCH.Harvard.edu> 02/04/03 03:40pm >>>
Has anyone considered providing I-131 therapy outpatients with some form of identification that could be used if stopped by police or other officials who are now equipped with radiation detectors?

Something that identifies the isotope, date of administration and the institution P.O.C.?

A wallet sized card perhaps.....Any thoughts or examples out there????

Thanks

William A. Lorenzen, MS
Radiation Safety Officer
Children's Hospital Boston