RE: Nuclear-powered spacecraft plan feared

Title: Message
I did notice the military on the news standing in front of an ion chamber detector while looking for parts.
-----Original Message-----
From: Frey, Steven R. [mailto:sfreyohp@SLAC.STANFORD.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:28 AM
To: 'Flood, John'; RADSAFE
Subject: RE: Nuclear-powered spacecraft plan feared

If NASA decided to call Columbia wreckage RAM to protect its quality as forensic evidence knowing that it is not RAM, then that is a most inappropriate decision and application of the spirit of radioactive material safety regulations. Worse, the inordinate fear that much of the public has about radioactivity can only be made worse. Not one to second-guess NASA because of their being under duress from the accident, but NASA and the new Homeland Security Department ought to set the record straight with the public about Columbia 'RAM" immediately.