Re: AW: HPS IRC Poster Session Announcement

Franz, et. al.;

I agree with your observation in principal, there is no substitute for physical

attendance. I generally try to attend the US HPS meetings at least once a year,

and also try to attend a European or Russian conference on an annual basis.  I

am (as you appear to be) blessed with either adequate personal, corporate, or

grant funding to do this. Not everyone enjoys this availability of funding.

The concern then is that the presentations that appear at conferences are

screened by an "available financing" filter; if you can't pay to attend, then

you don't get to present.  I think this prevents a number of interesting ideas

from receiving exposure.  While it would be great to sponsor 10 or 20

researchers or practicioners to attend the conference to present papers, it is

financially impossible to do so.

What CAN be done is to provide a forum for the ideas to be presented.  This is

the basis of the IRC poster session. For a reasonable amount of money and some

time invested, we can provide an interchange for health physicists outside of

the US to at least present work they are doing. They, at least, can have a

forum to initiate discussions with US health physicists. It's not a substitute

for "face time," but it is MUCH better than non-participation or silence. Nor

is the system perfect right now; we are still feeling our way through a very

new concept.

To the point of hundreds of papers and no participants -- we may actually see

that sooner than you think.  In a world with NetMeeting, DirectX, and some of

the other remote conferencing systems that are coming on line, I wouldn't be

surprised to see someone offer a "virtual conference" or "virtual poster

session" in the near future. We are already seeing this trend in the corporate

world; it's not a stretch to see it expanded more widely.

Jim Barnes, CHP

International Relations Committee

Health Physics Society

james.g.barnes@att.net