Re: CSI Miami I-131 Espisode

In a message dated 2/10/2003 8:27:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, cofer@NETTALLY.COM writes:

I agree; that was a pathethic display of health physics, and a shame too, because these shows just continue to perpetuate radiophobia among the masses, and we have a hard enough time getting out the facts without just trash.  Since the action took place in Miami, it would have been under my agency's jurisdiction, not the NRC's, both I'm gratefull the Bureau's name didn't come up because I don't want any association with such junk.

Sadly, the writers did call and try to get assistance.  They knew the Florida State program would have jurisdiction, and I tried to palm them off on you Mr. Cofer :-), but  they weren't very interested in real life information.

I haven't watched the show yet, so don't know what they ended up doing.  They initially wanted to try to "kill" someone with three diagnostic dosages of Tc-99m, but at least I was able to convince them that was utterly preposterous.  I told them their most effective "weapon" in a medical setting would be along the lines of a Co-60 therapy source, but that Robin Cook had already written that story, and suggested they try to get the rights to that, but they didn't think that suggestion was very helpful.

I still have the writer's phone number if anyone would like to call her, though I doubt she'd care about what she got wrong.  She certainly wasn't interested in many facts that contradicted her little fantasy before she wrote the script.

Barbara