Re: NSWS etc.

Chris,

I pretty much agree with everything you say here. There is one implied

misconception that has surfaced a few times on this list and nobody has

commented on yet. It goes something like:

"If there was a benefit to radiation exposure, then the high dose group

should be healthier than the medium dose group."

The obvious problem is that no one claims that the beneficial effects are

LNT.

The more difficult problem is that I know of no beneficial agent where the

amount of benefit is related to the cumulative dose. The benefit is usually

very dependent on how the dose is delivered. In some instances (vitamins) it

seems that the body should have them available all the time. In other

instances you get the benefit from a high dose followed by a period of no

dose. For example: reasonably intense exercise for an hour 3 times a week is

better for most people than moving slowly all the time.

In the studies where only the total dose is measured, the best we can hope

for is to find a "radiation deficiency syndrome" in the group that is

exposed to the least amount of radiation.(Just as you will find deficiency

syndromes in people who don't get enough vitamins or exercise, no matter how

these are administered.)

Once we realize that the beneficial effects of radiation are more likely to

be related to dose rate, rather than cumulative dose, there are no more

contradictions between the ecological and case control data sets.

Kai