Contacting the media.

Radsafers:

A Radsafer pointed to a news article regarding portal detectors being tested near Camp Lejeune (a Marine Corps base in North Carolina).  I thought the article was good (no scare tactics), wrote/complimented the writer.  I suggested a follow up article regarding what the average citizen could/should do in the event of a radiological dispersion device (RDD) going off in their neighborhood.  The editor took me up on the offer and published it. The editor was exceptionally complimentary about the style and simplicity of my "guide".    The article can be found at http://www.print2webcorp.com/news/jacksonville/liberty/20030219/p1a.asp

This may not be the largest circulating newspaper in the world, but it is a start.  Feel free to critique the article/me privately.  I made a number of defensible assumptions in the article. For example, in defining safe distances,  I presume the material is spread out, and that people are going to get buildings and other shields between them as they move away from the source. There are a million ways to make the assumptions, but you have to choose some.  Why?  Because, I found that  people want to know, and easily visualize, what is a safe distance. They could care less about how to calculate a safe distance using the inverse square law (even the mention of the law, and their eyes glaze over).  Most people are very surprised at how short the "safe" distance can be.   Some of you may wish to argue what is a safe dose, but I will not argue, as it is a relative concept.  For example, I would stand for an hour in a 1- 10 R/hr field to save someone's life, because I consider that !

dose to be "safe", relative to the risk to the injured person.

My point: given all the hoopla surrounding the RDD threat (or perceived threat), we have an incredible opportunity to educate the public about radiation protection.  We can empower people, not scare them.  Take this opportunity my friends.  Call/email the reporters.  Yeah, I spent a sleepless night putting together the article, but if I can help one person be less fearful, it will be worth every second.   If you know of an interested reporter, but do not have the time, send him/her to me. I'll make the time. As professional Health Physicists, we serve the public.  There is no better way to serve the public than to educate them (in simple fashion).

Larry Grimm, Senior HP

UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division

*	lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu   Phone:310/206-0712   Fax: 310/206-9051 Cell: 310/863-5556  Pager:1-800-233-7231ext93569

*	On Campus: 501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor, MS 951605

*	Off Campus: UCLA Radiation Safety Div, 501 Westwood Plaza 4th Fl, Box 951605, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1605

*	If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not UCLA's.