Re: Double Edged Sword

Consider Double Edged Sword as "Hazard Communications" as to what could

go wrong!

The fluorescence machine in the example was AT LEAST as secure as

today's' machines - but the guy removed the protections and paid the

price.  Even though the DES sends the wrong message making it seem like

the PRIMARY fix was the better warning light - and BTW they put all the

interlocks back ....... is totally backwards!  Its still a good example,

however, of what the injuries can be like.

Most "modern" machines that come in here still don't meet my hardware

control standards and we almost always have to modify them to comply.

Actually in that regard - the one decades old are easier and cheaper to

modify because they don't have a mis applied micro processor trying to

undo everything you are trying to do.

I very much dislike the "X-Ray Diffraction Hazards" video - even more so

today.  It sends the message that training is all you need!  Training is

an administrative control and only works voluntarily - a person can

choose to ignore their training, forget it, or simply be distracted.  I

have a full hardware control program here - the film would send the

message that "if one was careful and knew the hazards" it would be quite

alright to use the machine without controls - thus suggesting the

hardware controls are superfluous nonsense and they can take care of

themselves.  I don't want that message here.

We don't use DES here anymore either - I put together my own pc

presentation - geared to my program - but I'm putting it to CD for

archiving and because I started this project way back when we were using

it and I just want to finally do it!