Commenting on USNRC Environmental Impact Statements

I'm interested in commenting on a recent NRC Environmental Impact Statement (released for public comment) and would like input from Radsafe on the following:

The EIS I'm looking at is
"Environmental Impact
Statement on the
Construction and
Operation of a Mixed Oxide
Fuel Fabrication Facility at
the Savannah River Site,
South Carolina"

It has the number NUREG-1767.

It includes the following note: "c: Latent cancer fatalities are calculated by multiplying dose by the Federal Guidance Report 24
(FGR) 13 health risk conversion factor of 0.06 fatal cancer per person-Sv (6 × 10-4 fatal cancer per person- 25
rem) (Eckerman et al. 1999)."

The question is this: Is the process of  calculating deaths in this fashion really a mandate to the NRC? I would think that in light of much discussion to the contrary, that a threshold value should be used.

Please, I am not trying to start a rant on LNT. If anyone can help me research this a bit, I would just like to make a helpful and useful comment to the NRC.

Mark G. Hogue, CHP
mark.hogue@srs.gov
"But we surely overrate the usefulness of what we like to call "stimulation" and underrate the need for time, peace of mind, mature reflection." -  Susan Haack

"DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent Westinghouse Savannah River Co. or the United States Department of Energy."