Re: Dirty bombs

Another aspect of this problem is that part of the CsCl will bind with soil and building materials, such as concrete. One aspect that most folks don't think about is that concrete and even stainless steel are pretty porous, and much of the contamination may be "below surface" ... you clean the surface today, and then come back a week later, and it's crapped up again. The only way to truly remove the bulk of the contamination is to remove that portion of the surface into which the contamination has seeped. CsCl disolved in water will also seep down to soil in expansion joints in roadways, etc.

Just as an example, your federal government spent about $45 million cleaning up an industrial facility in Decatur, GA into which approximately 10 Ci of Cs-137 as CsCl had been released (this is the infamous Radiation Sterilizers, Inc. incident). I won't go into all the gory details, but contaminated water seeped down between expansion joints in the concrete deck surrounding the source storage pool, requiring excavation of contaminated soil (after removal of the contaminated concrete) down to a depth of 3' in some places.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Tom Mohaupt <tom.mohaupt@WRIGHT.EDU> 2/27/2003 11:41:29 >>>
According to the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (ancient edition, 1977),
the solubility of CsCl is 162 g/ml in cold water and 260 g/ml in hot water.
Tom

--
Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP
University Radiation Safety Officer

104 Health Sciences Bldg
Wright State University
Dayton, Ohio 45435
tom.mohaupt@wright.edu
(937) 775-2169
(937) 775-3761 (fax)

"An investment in knowledge gains the best interest." Ben Franklin