Sad news

	The largest supermarket chain in the Pittsburgh area, Giant Eagle,

did a trial run on irradiated ground beef. They even had a very low fat

version, 4% fat. I really enjoyed it, especially because I like my

hamburgers rare and worry about whether the cooking is effective in

killing harmful microorganisms. The taste was excellent

	After a few weeks, they abandoned the experiment as unsuccessful.

It just didn't sell. They said they had to throw out most of their stock.

	A couple of questions in my mind: Why doesn't irradiated beef last

a lot longer than a few weeks? Why did they keep it refrigerated all the

time -- doesn't irradiation make refrigeration unnecessary?

Bernard L. Cohen

Physics Dept.

University of Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, PA 15260