AW: Sad news - helminth hormesis / food irradiation vs immununity

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: howard long [mailto:hlong@pacbell.net]

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 05. März 2003 22:55

An: Franz Schoenhofer

Cc: 'RADSAFE'

Betreff: Re: Sad news - helminth hormesis / food irradiation vs

immununity

Franz,

Do you have a  reference?

I do not see how eating irradiated beef, etc. could decrease the eater's

leukocin, interferon, local blood supply or other factors in resistance to

infection.

Howard,

Really a difficult question. I pick up information and news from popular

scientific magazines from time to time, like from Scientific American,

National Geographic, the German Bild der Wissenschaft and Geo. So I am at

the moment not able to provide you with a reference, but I accept this as a

suggestion to look for it!

On the other hand we have the example of vaccination, the principle of which

is, to bring "weak" variations of otherwise deadly organisms to the human

body, in order to force the body to develop anti-bodies which also shield

against the powerful deadly organisms. (I am not a medical doctor, but I

hope I understood this well enough.) I would expect that the mechanism is

similar to infections of people and children. At least in our Western modern

world. I think you know about the deadly consequences of for instance

influenca, which claimed millions of deaths about hundred years ago, when no

remedy was available. Nowadays we have enough drugs in our western world to

fight it and so persons who went through it are usually immune - to the same

strain. How the strains can change has been about one or two years ago a

topic on National Geographic!

Best regards,

Franz