Re: Letter to Congressman McDermott by Leuren Moret

Phil Hypes wrote:

> I'm certain some fraction of the penetrator's mass is vaporized and

> burns, but it's propably usually a *very* small fraction.  Most DU

> rounds that pass completely through an armored vehicle come out the

> other side looking like they could be reloaded and fired again.  They

> are that unaffected by passing through the target.

> Any burning DU is a trivial concern inside an armored vehicle that has

> been hit by a DU round.  The shrapnel, hydrualic fluids, and other

> life-threatening hazards are the real concern, not a few measley

> particles of DU.

> Phil Hypes

> Los Alamos Radiation Consultants

> laradcon@hotmail.com

> 505.920.9712

Phil, your experience and mine differ a little I guess.  Thin armour

will not stop a large penetrator.  Tanks use penetrators designed to

penetrate up to 2 feet of steel or more.  When this happens, there is

nothing left to come out the other side.  Light armour, of course will

not stop a large penetrator.  Smaller penetrators used in smaller guns

are designed for this application.  I guess it all depends on the size

of the round and the thickness and construction of the armour that it is

used against.  In any case the DU will burn intensly but may not be

consumed entirely.  Rounds that impact the earth seem to not burn as

readily and may be left intact after plowing a long furrow.

Best wishes.

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee