DU pyrophoricity

No, Ted is not correct (nothing personal) if he's saying the pyrophoricity

of DU is important to it's anti-armor capabilities.  Folks, when ANYTHING

traveling at kilometers per second passes through a sheet of metal, hot

metal fragements are going to be produced, if only from the displacement of

the armor metal itself.  Those fragements of displaced armor alone, when put

in contact with flammable materials (fuel, gunpowder, you know, tank

stuff!), causes secondary fires and explosions.  That is the primary

mechanism for defeating an armored vehicle with any penetrator, be it a WWII

type tungsten round, or a modern DU round.

Unless they lied to me and doctored photographs during my Armor Officer

Basic Course (Fort Knox is lovely in the winter!), DU rounds often exit the

far side of an armored target with virtually all of their mass intact.

That's what makes DU a good penetrator.

The "How stuff works" description is mostly accurate, but it does have a

couple of errors and omissions.  The plastic sabot isn't flimsy; it's stong

enough to seal the propellant gasses at high enough pressures to drive a DU

round out of the barrel at unmentionable speeds.  It comes apart because

it's designed to after it leaves the barrel.  The description also doesn't

specify where the heated fragments of metal come from.  They come primarily

from the displaced armor, not the DU itself.  The heat comes from friction

and pressures that tear the metal apart, not DU pyrophoricity.  I'm not

denying that DU is pyrophoric, but I am stronly denying that that fact has

anything significant to do with it's anti-armor capabilities.  A few

milligrams or grams of material that smoulders when powdered is a fart in a

whirlwind compared to everything going on inside a DU-penetrated tank.

Phil Hypes

Los Alamos Radiation Consultants

laradcon@hotmail.com

505.920.9712