RE: Letter to Congressman McDermott; It Does burn

Thanks to all for the education. I stand corrected on the properties of uranium.

the point was that it seems counter intuitive that something designed to use it's mass and size to make a hole would significantly lose mass before doing so. Such that there would be "clouds of uranium circling the earth" (or whatever the exact quote was in the letter).

It also occurs to me that DU burning and "stockpiled DU" is a slightly different situation. This lead me to the dictionary (Australian Concise Oxford), which tells me that pyrophoric means "liable to ignite spontaneously on exposure to air." A condition that doesn't seem to need heating. So this lead me to Google.

Google found me a link to the US DOE

http://tis.eh.doe.gov/techstds/standard/hdbk1081/hbk1081.html

This tells me

"Most metallic uranium is handled in massive forms that do not present a significant fire risk unless exposed to a severe and prolonged external fire", and

"Uranium in finely divided form is readily ignitable, and uranium scrap from machining operations is subject to spontaneous ignition."

So a DU rod does not seem, to me, to be a finely divided form of DU. Since these rods don't spontaneously ignite in air while sitting in the armour vehicle I conclude the phorphoric properties is suppressed. I wonder if the DU is actually in oxide form rather than pure metal

I find it implausible that a significant amount of DU is "finely divided" as the rod passes through armour. A number of you have stated that the DU rod often exits and remains substantially whole. The heating of penetrating the armour is not a really a "severe and prolonged external fire". Then only the DU rods that remain in a vehicle that burns will be likely to ignite.

The DOE document then tells me that

"Once ignited, massive metal burns very slowly. In the absence of strong drafts, uranium oxide smoke tends to deposit in the immediate area of the burning metal."

So the uranium smoke is inside a vehicle, I expect it would mostly stay there.

Based on this, and everyone's input, I say that the statement in the letter that "DU smoke is released and circles the world, killing everything in it's path" (I'm paraphrasing because it's just not worth checking the quote) can not be supported. I would also suggest that because pure DU metal will be burn it does not support the proposition in this particular situation.

Cameron

PS Bill gates tells me that pyrophoric should be pyrophobia. Should that be a label for anti DU people?