Re: Hazardous vs. Radioactive Materials

>if anyone knew of any specific hazardous materials (carcinogens) that are

>present in the natural background, as radioactive material is, and what the

>"background" risk levels might be for those hazardous materials.

---

1. Endogenous production of ethylene & ethylene oxide in your body. The

source is gastrointestinal bacteria. The risk? Probably comparable to

natural background ionizing radiation. Ethylene oxide is very genotoxic

(showed to be mutagenic already around 1957).

2. Natural pesticides (in cabbage type of vegetables for instance). Search

for publications by Bruce Ames et al. If I recall correctly Bruce Ames said

about 14 years ago that one cabbage type had 54 natural pesticides - 27 of

which turned out to be mutagenic in Salmonella (the so called "Ames test").

I eat a variety of foods and do not worry about this BTW.

My personal initiative only,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com