From: Neil, David M [mailto:neildm@id.doe.gov]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 10:22 AM
To: BLHamrick@AOL.COM; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: RE: Hazardous vs. Radioactive Materials

Bear with me - I'm working from memory here, but I recall that sodium nitrite is produced in your body and is present in saliva.  It's part of the immune system, for dealing with ingested bacteria.

Sodium nitrite is the preservative in bacon, ham, and sausages that is stated to be carcinogenic. I think they don't use it any more since a few years back.

Dave Neil