Re: Japanese research on LDI therapy for Type II diabetes [FW]

How come when studies find something is harmful to laboratory animals, we assume it is also harmful to humans  and pass laws and regulations to protect people from it, but when a positive effect is observed we ask, "what does this have to do with humans?"
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: Japanese research on LDI therapy for Type II diabetes [FW]

Jaro,

My question is what does this have to do with humans?  I have never been that interesting in curing diabetes in Model C57BL/KsJ-db/db mouse.

 "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@AECL.CA> wrote:

The 3 out of 12 is not very impressive, but the rest of the results certainly are....

Jaro
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
12th International Congress of Radiation Research, Brisbane, Australia, August 17-22, 2003
Long-Term Low Dose Rate Irradiation Causes Recovery from Type II Diabetes and Suppression of Aging in Type II Diabetes-Prone Mice

Takaharu Nomura, Nao Makino, Takeshi Oda, Ikuno Suzuki and Kazuo Sakai
Low Dose Radiation Research Center, CRIEPI, Japan
The effects of low dose rate gamma irradiation on Model C57BL/KsJ-db/db mice with Type II diabetes mellitus were investigated. These mice develop Type II diabetes by 10 weeks of age, due to obesity, and are characterized by hyperinsulinemia.

.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist