From: Franta, Jaroslav [mailto:frantaj@AECL.CA]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 8:54 AM
To: Radsafe (E-mail); 'Stewart Farber'
Subject: Re: skyshine from radiography sources, Tokaimura criticality acci dent

Stewart & Radsafers,

I'm curious about this skyshine from industrial radiography sources, which you mentioned in the anecdote below.

How would such common occurrences compare - dose-wise - to the dose received by people in the vicinity of the 1999 criticality accident in Tokaimura - "Japan's worst nuclear accident ", "the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, angering radiation victims", which "exposed more than 600 people to radiation."

Would these be roughly the same order of magnitude ?

Thanks.

Jaro