RE: Recommendations for badge handling

> Returning the dosemeters when leaving would in my opinion be highly in the

> interest of employers and there should not be any problem to enforce this!

I certainly agree in principle, but practical matters tend to interfere.

Many facilities are spread over a large area with many buildings, and

multiple entrances to the site with no need to exit a vehicle when entering.

Such a layout would require a badge rack in every occupied building, which

is a serious logistical problem for dosimetry personnel.  The major obstacle

is, however, that some people's offices are inside buildings for which

dosimetry is required in order to enter.  And, even though a gatehouse makes

an obvious place for central badge rack, many nuclear power plants in this

country have switched from gatehouse racks to take-home dosimetry anyway.

It's becoming an increasingly common practice, one that can have significant

consequences.

Bob Flood

Nevada Test Site