AW: Recommendations for badge handling

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von John Johnson

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. März 2003 15:45

An: garyi@trinityphysics.com; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Re: Recommendations for badge handling

Gary

An interesting question and I don't know if there are any.

Common practice in Canada (at least where I have worked) is to have a "badge

rack" at the entrance, but I think this is for convenience, not to satisfy a

regulation. I have worked at the Hanford site in the US and there everyone

took their dosimeter/badge home.

John

The badges are worn in order to record the occupational exposure. Though it

is unlikely that people could receive doses of concern in their sparetime.

But doses from working with the private collection of uranium minerals or a

historic collection of revigators or the exposure from a transatlantic or

transpacific flight are not occupational exposures. Therefore I believe that

the dosemeters and badges have to be left after work at the facility. When

working at the Austrian Atominstitute of the Universities there was a badge

rack as well at the entrance, from where the dosemeters were taken in the

morning and left in the evening. This also served a very convenient purpose:

For the receptionist and the telephonists it was possible to see at one

glance, whether a certain person was in or not. As well there were no losses

of dosemeters!

There was (and maybe still is) a system available from a Finnish company,

which used electronic dosemeters. The dosemeters were returned when leaving,

were inserted in their slot, automatically read and the data were

automatically transferred to a computer, so that there was a continuous

record on doses received by the workers.

Returning the dosemeters when leaving would in my opinion be highly in the

interest of employers and there should not be any problem to enforce this!

Best regards,

Franz

I think that returning the dosemeters