Re: Risk Assessment

Susan Harrison wrote:

>I am new to this list and have never contributed.  I am a Radiology

>Director for a medium sized rural hospital.  Our new Safety Officer for

>the hospital has asked me to perform a Risk Assessment for our Radiation

>Safety plan.  These are the following potential "hazards" I have

>identified thus far.  Our Safety Officer, however, has mentioned that he

>would like a list of ALL possible radiation-related possibilites (no

>matter how extreme the may seem)...so, I ask you to please, please

>assist me with suggestions for this list.

>Here is what I have:

>Radiating a Pregnant Patient

>Large, Moderate, and Minor Spill (internal and external)

>Theft of Radioactive Material from the Nuc Med Hot Lab

>Employee Exceeding Annual Limits

>Please help me with any other suggestions.

>Thank you  in advance,

>Susan Harrison

Here are some more:

o  Improper use of radioactive material or radiation sources.

o  All lost sources are not stolen. Add improper disposal of radioactive

material.

o  Improper calibration or control of survey meters and monitoring

instruments.

o  Improper or inadequate surveys or mishandling of survey records and

inventory records.

o  Misadministration of a  radionuclide, especially over administration

by 3 orders of magnitude.

o  Inadequate, improper shielding or overriding of X-ray machine interlocks.

There must be a lot more.

Best wishes.

John Andrews

Knoxville, Tennessee