Re: U in corals

In a message dated 3/14/2003 9:46:50 PM Central Standard Time, p.bossew@magnet.at writes:

In samples (coral sand, Acropora sp. coral) from the S Pacific, the
Maldives and Okinava I found a Th234/Ra226 ratio MED = 35, MAD = 21 (n=9)
(by gamma spectrometry). Typical Th234 activity conc. in coral seems to be
25-35 Bq/kg. - I cannot imagine that corals can be a radiological problem
under any 'normal' conditions.

Measurements of background radiation levels that we made on uncontaminated islands at Enewetak Atoll during the 1977-1980 DOD/DOE cleanup with microR meters were in the range of 2 uR/h to 5 uR/h.

Bob