RE: ALARA

I believe that ALARA already has more pressure behind it than it merits.

Organizations are rated, in part, by how low they keep their total

cumulative radiation dose.  This creates an incentive not to do various

inspections, maintenance and other necessary activities that might result in

some small dose.

ANS, HPS, NCRP and ICRP have advised that ALARA should not be pushed below 5

or 10 rem individual dose, regardless of how many persons get such doses.

Ignoring such advice is counter-productive.

Ted Rockwell