RE: forensic science

I have personally used diagnostic x-rays to assist a state attorney general

in prosecuting a case of assault with a deadly weapon. The defendant claimed

that he fired a pistol in self-defense against a "friend" who was allegedly

attacking him with a length of steel pipe. There was a small piece of metal

imbedded in the friend's groin which the defendant maintained was a chip of

the pipe knocked off by the defendant's bullet as he was being attacked. I

was able to show by means of three orthogonal radiographs of the victim's

groin that the metal piece was consistent with a distorted .32 to .38

caliber slug, not a jagged shard of pipe. The defendant and his "expert"

caved. The guy pleaded guilty and never went to trial, damn it. I was

looking forward to that.

There must be other uses such as non-destructive testing and analysis, and

imaging, but I am not versed in those.

David L. North, Sc.M., DABR

Medical Physics

Main Bldg Rm 317