RE: forensic science

Radsafers,

David North stated:

I have personally used diagnostic x-rays to assist a state attorney general

in prosecuting a case of assault with a deadly weapon. The defendant claimed

that he fired a pistol in self-defense against a "friend" who was allegedly

attacking him with a length of steel pipe. There was a small piece of metal

imbedded in the friend's groin which the defendant maintained was a chip of

the pipe knocked off by the defendant's bullet as he was being attacked. I

was able to show by means of three orthogonal radiographs of the victim's

groin that the metal piece was consistent with a distorted .32 to .38

caliber slug, not a jagged shard of pipe. ....

I believe that the diagnostic radiation dose applied to the man would have

been illegal in NJ as it had no medical benefit to the person. Any comments

from NJ DEP personnel?

Regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.

Consulting in Radiation Safety and Environmental Radioactivity.

http://home.att.net/~wesvanpelt/Radiation.html

mailto:wesvanpelt@att.net