Re: forensic science

Dear Mike,

Neutron activation analysis has been used to look for traces of elements

such as arsenic.  This has been used, for example, to analyse human hair to

see whether arsenic poisoning occured as an acute dose (in which case the

arsenic would appear at a single location along the hair) or small doses

over a long time (when the arsenic would appear right along the hair).  I

know that this has been used in evidence in a poisoning case in Australia to

demonstrate that a wife had been slowly poisoning her husband over a long

period of time.

Regards

Richard