Re:Contamination Control Training

Just a heads up to all about using phosphorescent powders for this

training...if you are using a liquid scintillation system to count your

wipes, these powders may wreak havoc with your system (very large count

rates). It may take you a while to catch on to what is happening (gee after

all they do glow in the dark...).

I used a sanatarian's training kit that had zinc sulphide along with a black

light during a contamination exercise. It worked great. I was really pleased

with the whole exercise. I thought it was an outstanding idea until I took

my next set of routine smears.  It took a month to clean up the ZnS to the

point where it did not interfere with smear assays (had to dark adapt for a

24-hour period prior to counting the smears).