End of another

On a somewhat related matter, I heard yesterday that all funding has now

been removed from the Oak Ridge internal dosimetry center (RIDIC). The FDA

stopped funding it some years ago, causing the main scientists to look for

work elsewhere; now DOE has removed its funding for the remaining (mostly

administrative) functions. Many considered this to have been a valuable

program, started by the great pioneers Roger Cloutier and Evelyn Watson in

the 1970's. Wherever I travel in the world, not just the US, people ask me

why the beaurocrats decided to shut down this low cost, productive program,

and I really don't have a good answer for them.

Think Bill O'Reilly would consider this as a "Most RIDICulous item of the

day"? Sorry, bad joke for a Friday afternoon. Ya gotta make jokes, even bad

ones, or this stuff can make ya crazy.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068