RE: Instrument Response / Training Issues

The Radiation Protection Manager here at VC Summer Nuclear Station, wants

>>a training class to be given on the following HP survey instruments:

A couple of quick thoughts:

REM Ball

I believe you'll find from NUREG docs that your average unscattered neutron

energy is approximately 100 keV and the multi-scattered flux is approximately

50 keV.  I don't have any references with me, but I seem to recall that the

sources most often used to calibrate rem balls have neutron energies much

higher.  In this case for each neutron detected, the pulse counter is

providing a signficant dose impact, whereas the true dose/unit flux in the

plant is not that much.  Without any good comparison studies, I believe this

might be a primary contributor to the fact that a rem ball seems to read

signficantly higher than some of the new neutron electronic dosimeters with

their detector response factors set to the average neutron energy in the

field.  There is also a significant variance in TLD response in neutron

fields.  I believe one utility multiplies their rem ball reading by 0.3 to

get close to the neutron electronic dosimeter reading.  This is an area where

a comparison to the rem ball really hasn't been available and further

industry data should prove to be interesting.  I'm no longer at the plant

with the electronic neutron dosimetry and wish I had more to get to the

bottom of the issue...

Teletector

The teletector is a pulse counter that assigns 662 keV of dose to each

counting event whereas the ion chamber measures the dose response of all of

the energies.  I don't have my teletector in N-16 info available, but I have

seen data from U of Mass at Lowell with I believe was the MG Ram Ion ion

chamber.  I believe the density thickness for this ion chamber was

approximately 300-400 mg/cm^2 and the response was within approximately 10%

of the expected value.  If this low level of density thickness yields a

comparison this close, then I'd expect the RO-2 chamber thickness to be this

much or greater and yield similarly good comparisons.  This essentially says,

there's enough density thickness in the chamber walls to achieve a decent

electonic equilibrium.

PCM 1B/2

I belive you'll find that the tables for false alarm are for a single

detector, so you'd effectively multiply that value by the number of detectors

to get the overall false alarm rate for the monitor.  You can also probably

get calculators from the major vendors to play what-if scenarios to help you

better understand the performance of the monitor.  Sometimes you need better

tools to obtain the higher level of knowledge.  One thing to cover is

detector response vs. beta energy.  Higher energy betas are easier to detect.

 So, if you have failed fuel and your average energy goes from ~96 keV for

Co-60 to 200-300 keV, your monitor set at 5000 dpm will alarm at lower levels

because these energies are more easily detected.  Radon descriminating

mechanisms that work perfect almost sound to good to be true...  Think

carefully about the body geometry and distances from the detectors vs. alpha

range in air and the potential for licensed alpha to be present.  The EPRI

doc concerning alpha at commercial nuclear power facilities suggests that you

only need alpha monitoring if your beta/alpha ratio is <50:1.  This is

equivalent to 5000 dpm/100 cm^2 fixed + removable beta and 100 dpm/100 cm^2

alpha.  Additionally this would be 1000 dpm/100 cm^2 removable and 20 dpm/100

cm^2 alpha.  The last value I recall seeing from INPO was a sensitivity of

300 dpm for a personnel monitor.  Performance data will show you that 20 dpm

is essentially unobtainable.  Remember it takes a SAC-4 (30% eff ZnS)

approximately a minute to achieve an MDA of <20 dpm.  With respect to

performing plateau's for all of the detectors, once I got the monitor set up,

I'd only perform a plateau if the efficiency for a detector during the cal

was outside your admin variance against the mean.  You'd also perform one

when you replaced a detector.  If you read the plateau you can put in a new

detector and tune it to the performance of the others just from the plateau

data.  The key is you'll have a "worst" detector that has the worst

signal-to-noise or efficiency to background and this detector will

essentially drive the count time for the whole monitor.  I have a methodology

for finding this detector and tuning the others around this detector to get

the lowest background with the highest average efficiency with a tight fit.

A tight fit for the average is also important or you'll get false alarms on

the one with an efficiency that is too high.

PM-7

The PM-7 is a very predictable instrument.  It can be made to work in high

background levels (>13,000 cps) and it will appropriately take itself out of

service if the background fluctuates too much.  The shield factors in the

instrument might run 6% or so which means at the end of the count cycle, the

counts are inflated by 6%.  If you aren't the same size as the person that

generated those values, you're susceptible to excessive false alarm rates in

higher background areas.  In general adjust the false alarm probability as

high as you can and still obtain a count time <2 sec.  The longer the count

time in high and changing background levels, the more the count will be

affected.  Minimize the count time and accept higher RDA values to get good

performance in high background areas.  Essentially everyone is dragging these

monitors deeper into the plant into increasingly higher background levels and

it forces us to learn more about operating in adverse environments.  Most

plants pick their calibration source Co-60 or Cs-137 to be the one most close

to the average photon energy.  Think about the photon emission rate of your

plant mix vs. the source your using.  Additionally, more work needs to be

done to understand the impact of performing a plateau to set a detector

voltage on a fixed descriminator and variable detector gain system with

different photon energies.  Where do the photons go with energies that are

below the "knee"?  I believe work in this area will generate some interesting

insights...  Remember David Cardine in the Kung Fu series when the master

would offer an intriguing riddle which held much reward?...  These

philosophies would similarly apply to tool monitors as well.

AMS-4

Very reliable instrument.  Field operations will match the performance

formulas in the manual to a "T".  For example the time needed for the monitor

to go into service relative to the background level and alarm setpoint will

generate curve fits of plant data that match the manual.  The primary issue

to remember is that the bkg/source detector responses vary in the z plane.

This condition can cause an under-response or over response.  For example,

the draining of a reactor cavity will create a difference in the flux

gradient and cause the background subtraction factor to change.  Reset the

value periodically for changes in plant conditions like this to help you

"see" the effect.  The key it to understand the personality of the monitor.

It is not likely that a large group of rad techs will ever interface with the

monitor enough to be good at diagnosing issues in the field.  This is where

simplified written guidance is key to monitoring success.  The AMS-4 could

take up much more space, but it's time to go...

As you can tell, I don't have much of an interest in instruments...

Glen