Re: DOT Question

DOT/RSPA transport regulations for Class 7 (radioactive) material do not

distinguish between licensed and unlicensed radioactive material.  These

regulations are, however, limited to:  "The offering of hazardous materials for

transportation and transportation of hazardous materials in interstate,

intrastate, and foreign commerce by rail car, aircraft, motor vehicle, or

vessel."  (49 CFR 171.1(a)(1)) Thus, if you were transporting personal material,

eg., a smoke detector from the hardware store to your home, or fiestaware from

you home to the dump, DOT/RSPA regulations would not apply. Theoretically, you

could also transport hazardous material by bicycle without having to comply with

DOT/RSPA regulations.  In many cases where DOT regulations apply, it may be

possible to ship the material as an excepted quantity, which avoids a lot of the

requirements.

The other issue is that material which is exempt from a license under 10 CFR 30

or 10 CFR 40 may still be subject to the disposal requirements of 10 CFR 20.

This gets complicated.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton