Re: Kr-85 -> ionization -> oxidants -> acid rain??

I think the issue is not the reactivity of the Kr-85, but the idea that the beta emissions from its decay will lead to ionization to the air to produce the nitric acid and sulfuric acid that are the leading candidates of acid rain.  Of course, one will have to compare the probability of the fomation of these compounds by Kr-85 to the formation by cosmic radiation.

jkuperus@custompharmacy.com wrote:

Bjorn

Kr is non reactive, heavier than air, and washed out of the
atmosphere with every rain. You might want to check out this paper:

http://www.geo.tu-freiberg.de/kolleg/dokumente/tlange.pdf

I have worked with Kr-85 several times. It only forms compounds under
very extreme conditions i.e. conditions not found in the atmosphere.

. . .

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist