Policies on Laboratory Safety

I am helping the administration of a university develop policy for the safe

use of radioactive material.  Uses are of between tens of microcuries and

several millicuries in unsealed form.  Radionuclides include H-3, C-14,

P-32, S-35, I-125, and Na-22  I would like to obtain representative

policies from other academic institutions in the following four broad areas.

Minors working with radioactive material,

Undergraduate students working with radioactive material without the

physical presence of a faculty member

Individuals working alone in laboratories, and

Individuals working in laboratories when buildings are otherwise vacant,

either after normal working hours or on weekends.

If you have a written or unwritten policy regarding these areas, please

send me copies of your policies and your comments.

Thanks

Eli

Eli A. Port

Adjunct Professor