Subject: RE: FW: Tissue Equivalent Proportional Counters

Greetings All,

My understanding of the benefit of a TEPC is that you don't have to

distinguish neutron dose from gamma.  That said, if a scatter reaction of a

neutron and hydrogen atom (proton) is equally probable at any scatter angle,

and thereby recoil energy, how do you distinguish low E scatter reactions

with TEPC?  Do you simply assume a distribution of scatter based on the

energy spectrum of high E recoils (assuming the equal probability of scatter

at all angles)?

If you can relate Q to dE/dx, the TEPC would give you effective dose

regardless of the source.

Rob Gunter

Robert J. Gunter, CHP

Operations Support Manager, ETTP