Re: Confounders and Coincidences

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Carl Miller wrote:

> I believe Dr. Raabe is correct.  Using your example, in a case-control study

 you can match cases to controls via ethnicity

	--You "can", but this is rarely done

 - you can not do this in an ecologic study such as your regardless of the

 sample size.

	--In my study, there is no need to do this. Ethnicities are among

the confounding factors I treat. In the situation under consideration, the

apparent risk of lung cancer from radon would be higher in counties with a

larger fraction of the population of that ethnicity.