Re: Confounders and Coincidences

At 09:58 AM 5/8/03 -0400, BERNARD L COHEN wrote:

>On Wed, 7 May 2003, Carl Miller wrote:

>>> In a case-control study

> you can match cases to controls via ethnicity

>	--You "can", but this is rarely done

> - you can not do this in an ecologic study such as your regardless of the

> sample size.

May 8, 2003

You "can" easily handle obvious confounders in any approach. It is the

others that are not handled in "ecological" studies but are automatically

incorporated into the analysis in case-control and cohort studies by proper

selection, sample size, and statistical methodology.

I would appreciate hearing again from a professional biostatistician or

epidemiologist about this issue.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140