RE: Confounders and Coincidences

Ted,

People have given both suggestions and numbers.  Dr. Cohen states that he

shows their numbers are implausible, but he only considers just one factor at

a time like his estimated smoking rates rather than a group of co-linear

factors (smoking, SES, Education, etc.).

We have also answered your question before in the HPJ, see below -

Nonetheless, the bottom line is that it is certainly worth exploring the

validity of the LNT.  But an ecologic study is clearly not the way to do it.

Field, R.W., Smith, B.J., and Lynch, C.F. Cohen’s Paradox, Health Physics 77

(3): 328-329, 1999.

Dear Editors:

WE APPRECIATE the opportunity to respond to Cohen's letter-to-the-editor

(Cohen 1999a) regarding our rejoinder (Field et al. 1998a). The rejoinder

focused on Cohen's attempts (Cohen 1995,1997) to test the Linear No-Threshold

Theory (LNTT) using ecologic data. In our initial publication on this topic

(Smith et al. 1998), we demonstrated that Cohen erroneously used the wrong

model to test the LNTT. We also demonstrated that when more valid Iowa county

lung cancer rates were regressed on Cohen's mean county radon levels, the

large negative associations Cohen noted between radon concentrations, obtained

from short-term radon measurements, and lung cancer disappeared for Iowa. This

letter addresses several important points that Cohen either continues to

ignore or continues to contest.

Cohen (1999a) continues to challenge scientists to suggest a plausible

explanation to explain the inverse relationship he notes between mean county

residential radon measurements and mean county lung cancer mortality rates. We

will call this inverse relationship "Cohen's Paradox." Cohen (1999a) states

that his challenge is for someone to suggest a "not implausible model" as a

possible explanation and that the burden of proof will be on him to show

that "the explanation is highly implausible." We maintain that even if

additional plausible models are offered, Cohen will likely not be able to

explain his own paradox. Cohen has not accepted the fact that it may be

impossible to explain Cohen's Paradox in definitive analytical terms with his

existing data because it is not always possible to identify empirical sources

of ecologic bias from aggregate (ecologic) data alone (Field et al.

1998a).

Cohen (1999a) states that he has not been able to explain the inverse

relationship (Cohen's Paradox) for his studies even with years of effort. We

are not surprised. Cohen (1999a) continues to miss the point made previously

(Greenland and Robins 1994; Smith et al. 1998; Field et al. 1998a) that

characterizing biases is often extremely difficult in ecologic studies of

geographic regions because of the high probability of interacting covariates

that may differ across these regions. Greenland and Morgenstern (1989) point

out that ecological control of a covariate contributing to ecologic bias will

usually be inadequate to remove the bias produced by the covariate even in the

absence of measurement error. Researchers (Greenland and Robins 1994; Lubin

1998; Smith et al. 1998; Archer 1998; Goldsmith 1999) have already presented

very plausible theoretical examples of how Cohen's data can produce incorrect

and even contradictory risk estimates. Cohen has rejected

all of these examples.

Lagarde and Pershagen (1999) recently performed concurrent analyses on

individual and aggregated data from a nationwide case-control study of

residential radon and lung cancer in Sweden. The authors reported that the

results confirm that ecologic studies may be misleading in studies of weak

associations. So, are Cohen's negative point estimates a true effect or are

they attributable to bias? To move the explanation beyond the theoretical

level, analyses would require individual level data beyond the quality of

Cohen's aggregate data.

Cohen continues to maintain that his ecologic studies avoided the ecologic

fallacy, because he was testing the BEIR-IV LNTT model (Cohen

1997,1998,1999a). Cohen also continues to deny our assertion (Smith et al.

1998; Field et al. 1998a) that he was not testing the BEIR-IV LNTT model. As

we stated (Smith et al 1998; Field et al. 1998a), Cohen's risk model is not

the BEIR-IV risk model. Cohen attempted to equate his derived LNTT model to

the BEIR-IV model by applying unsupported primary and secondary rigid

assumptions. The assumptions all have both an error associated with them and a

non-linear component, which as previously pointed out, cannot be

quantitatively described. Rather than providing references to support the

validity of his assumptions, Cohen defends his use of these assumptions (Cohen

1999a) by stating that they are the same assumptions as used in essentially

all case-control studies.

All epidemiologic study designs have their own set of limitations. In fact, we

have pointed out that inadequate measurement data can affect the validity of

case-control studies as well as ecologic studies (Field et al. 1996,1997). The

limitations and assumptions of radon case-control

epidemiologic studies, which use individual rather than ecologic data, have

been presented elsewhere (Lubin et al. 1990; Field et al 1996). However, the

nature of potential biases inherent in case-control studies is often quite

different from an ecologic study. For example, case-control studies are not

subject to cross-level bias. While case-control studies have their own

inherent limitations, controlling for potential confounders in a well-designed

case-control study is much easier than dealing with confounders in an ecologic

study.

Many of the assumptions used by Cohen in his ecologic study design are not

required for the case-control study design. For example, Cohen's ecologic

studies assumed that smoking duration and intensity are the same for each

individual within a specified region. Unlike ecologic studies, case-control

studies collect data at the individual level so that detailed smoking

histories can be available to use for adjustments. We previously showed (Smith

et al. 1998) that when Cohen's adjusted smoking percentages for males and

females were regressed on radon levels, significant (p < 0.00001) negative

associations between smoking and radon were noted for both males and females.

In addition, when we (Smith et al. 1998) repeated the regression of lung

cancer mortality rates on Cohen's adjusted smoking percentages, the resulting

R2 values indicated that Cohen's smoking summary data explained very little

(23.7% for females; 34.5% for males) of the variation in lung cancer mortality

rates. It is not surprising Cohen cannot control for these risk factors using

aggregate data. In addition, Cohen's ecologic studies make numerous other

assumptions not required for newer case-control designs (Field et al. 1996).

Cohen (1999a) continues to offer explanations for how the conclusions of other

published ecologic studies can be wrong. We (Field et al. 1998a) offered the

large scale ecologic study by Menotti et al. (1997) as an example of an

inverse relationship between average blood pressure and stroke mortality

rates. Cohen did not have actual data from the study (Menotti et al. 1997) and

therefore could not attempt to explain the paradoxical finding in definitive

analytical terms. However, we would be interested in Cohen's definitive

analytical explanation for why the large negative associations disappeared for

the Iowa data when we regressed the more valid county lung cancer rates for

Iowa on Cohen's own mean county radon levels for Iowa (Smith et al. 1998). As

we mentioned previously, Iowa serves as an ideal site for a radon

epidemiologic study because it possesses the highest mean radon concentrations

in the United States (White et al. 1992), a population with low mobility, and

a quality cancer registry (Field et al. 1996). In addition, because of the

large number of counties in Iowa (99), Iowa data provide a finer ecologic

breakdown per percent population compared to much

of the rest of the U.S. data set assembled by Cohen. Cohen offers to provide

specific quantitative explanations for why other ecologic studies can give

false results, but he has yet to provide a persuasive argument for our

findings in Iowa (Smith et al. 1998), which predominantly use his aggregate

data.

Cohen (1999b) states, "I have never claimed that our studies support hormesis,

since such an interpretation suffers from the ecologic fallacy." We agree with

that claim by Cohen. However, Cohen has not provided persuasive evidence to

show that his test of the LNTT also does not suffer from the ecologic fallacy.

Cohen attempts to test the LNTT by analyzing averaged multivariate

distributions of aggregate data, followed by analyses using more county level

summaries to correct the potential biases. Because of the heterogeneity within

the county summaries, the aggregate data provide very little confounder

control, especially in the presence of non-linear dependencies (Field et al.

1998b) and interactions (Greenland and Robins 1994). It is a fallacy to think

that Cohen's inferences made from aggregate level data can be applied to

individual level exposure-response relationships, especially when Cohen is not

even testing the BEIR-IV formula.

Piantadosi (1994) pointed out that "a single result at odds with theory should

not discredit the theory unless the source of data and analysis meet the most

rigorous methodological criteria." Cohen's data, assumptions, and study design

failed to fulfill these criteria. Nobel Laureate, Sir Peter Medawar (1979)

wrote, "I cannot give any scientist of any age better advice than this: the

intensity of the conviction that a hypothesis is true has no bearing on

whether it is true or not. The importance of the strength of our conviction is

only to provide a proportionately strong incentive to find out if the

hypothesis will stand up to critical evaluation." Time will tell if the LNTT

will stand up to critical evaluation or fall. Nevertheless, we oppose the

critical evaluation taking the form of an ecologic study.

R. William Field

Brian J. Smith

Charles F. Lynch

College of Public Health