From:   Vernig, Peter G. [mailto:Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV]
Sent:   Friday, 9 May 2003 3:04 AM
To:     radsafe
Subject:        Sydney Morning Herald says 5000 died of radiation at
Chernobyl

Group,

I happened to see an article that says the Russians knew the Chernobyl
reactor design was flawed and in the article it says,

"
"One of the four reactors at Chernobyl exploded on April 26, 1986, after a
safety test went wrong. About 5000 people have died as a result of the
accident, many of them within days of being exposed to high radiation as
they tackled the ensuing fire.
My impression was that 31 or 32 people died, 28 of radiation effects.  Does
anybody know if there is any basis for the 5000 figure?
Please let's not start debating the likelihood of future cancer deaths or
LNT.
Last I heard the thyroid cancer was up to 2000 cases and recently there was
something about the rate having risen to 200/year.
BTW I have "Chernobyl Ten Years On Radiological and Health Impact"  [Nuclear
Energy Agency, OECD, OCDE, United Nations]
Has anything similar been published to update things?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/08/1052280380105.html

Any opinions expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent those of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans
Affairs, or the United States Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO
80220, ATTN:  RSO MS 115; peter.vernig@med.va.gov; personal
peter_vernig@hotmail.com; 303.399.8020 ext. 2447, FAX: 303.393-5026 [Off on
weekends] Alternate fax 303-377-5686 [Service 24/7]
"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is
pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be
excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."
Paul of Tarsus