Re: Sydney Morning Herald says 5000 died of radiation at Chernobyl

Peter,
You may want to see the 15-year post-Chernobyl Web site at http://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/Press/Focus/Chernobyl-15/cherno-on-the-web.shtml

"Vernig, Peter G." <Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV> wrote:

Group,

I happened to see an article that says the Russians knew the Chernobyl
reactor design was flawed and in the article it says,
. . .

My impression was that 31 or 32 people died, 28 of radiation effects. Does
anybody know if there is any basis for the 5000 figure?
Please let's not start debating the likelihood of future cancer deaths or
LNT.
Last I heard the thyroid cancer was up to 2000 cases and recently there was
something about the rate having risen to 200/year.
BTW I have "Chernobyl Ten Years On Radiological and Health Impact" [Nuclear
Energy Agency, OECD, OCDE, United Nations]
Has anything similar been published to update things?

. . .

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist