Confounders and Coincidences - Numerical Examples

Dr. Cohen,

Your response

"If there is a problem, please give me a concrete numerical example (made-up

is fine)."

confirms our (Field, R.W., Smith, B.J., and Lynch, C.F.) view we wrote in

Cohen’s Paradox, Health Physics 77(3): 328-329,1999.

A quote from that letter published in the Health Physics Journal states,

"Cohen has not accepted the fact that it may be impossible to explain Cohen's

Paradox in definitive analytical terms with his existing data because it is

not always possible to identify empirical sources of ecologic bias from

aggregate (ecologic) data alone (Field et al. 1998a)."

I don't know if you recall, but subsequently I contacted you directly and

others discussed it on the list

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/0201/msg00923.html

that you may be able to explain your findings if you wanted to improve your

analyses by following the examples of papers such as:

Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society)

Volume 164 Issue 1 Page 141  - 2001

Overcoming biases and misconceptions in ecological studies

Katherine A. Guthrie1 & Lianne Sheppard 1

The aggregate data study design provides an alternative group level analysis

to ecological studies in the estimation of individual level health risks. An

aggregate model is derived by aggregating a plausible individual level

relative rate model within groups, such that population-based disease rates

are modelled as functions of individual level covariate data. We apply an

aggregate data method to a series of fictitious examples from a review paper

by Greenland and Robins which illustrated the problems that can arise when

using the results of ecological studies to make inference about individual

health risks. We use simulated data based on their examples to demonstrate

that the aggregate data approach can address many of the sources of bias that

are inherent in typical ecological analyses, even though the limited between-

region covariate variation in these examples reduces the efficiency of the

aggregate study. The aggregate method has the potential to estimate exposure

effects of interest in the presence of non-linearity, confounding at

individual and group levels, effect modification, classical measurement error

in the exposure and non-differential misclassification in the confounder.

Have you followed up on that suggestion?

Also of interest in the same issue:

Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society)

Volume 164 Issue 1 Page 205  - 2001

A parallel analysis of individual and ecological data on residential radon and

lung cancer in south-west England

Sarah Darby1, Harz Deo1, Richard Doll1 & Elise Whitley2

Parallel individual and ecological analyses of data on residential radon have

been performed using information on cases of lung cancer and population

controls from a recent study in south-west England. For the individual

analysis the overall results indicated that the relative risk of lung cancer

at 100 Bq m3 compared with at 0 Bq m3 was 1.12 (95% confidence interval (0.99,

1.27)) after adjusting for age, sex, smoking, county of residence and social

class. In the ecological analysis substantial bias in the estimated effect of

radon was present for one of the two counties involved unless an additional

variable, urban-rural status, was included in the model, although this

variable was not an important confounder in the individual level analysis.

Most of the methods that have been recommended for overcoming the limitations

of ecological studies would not in practice have proved useful in identifying

this variable as an appreciable source of bias.

Regards,

Bill Field

epirad@mchsi.com