LNT Mechanisms

Interesting recent paper on the LNT issue.

J Radiol Prot 2003 Mar;23(1):53-77

A contribution to the linear no-threshold discussion.

Chadwick KH, Leenhouts HP, Brugmans MJ.

Department of Biological Sciences, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YQ, UK.

kennethhchadwick@aol.com

The paper approaches the linear no-threshold (LNT) hypothesis, currently used

as the basis for recommendations in radiological protection, from the point of

view of the radiation mechanism. All considerations of the validity of the LNT

hypothesis based on experiment or epidemiology are dismissed because of the

impossibility of deriving statistically significant data at very low doses.

Instead, the LNT hypothesis is assessed from a consideration of the mechanism

of radiation action. The DNA double-strand break is proposed to be the crucial

radiation-induced molecular lesion. A trace is made using a series of

correlations that link the DNA double-strand break to effects at the cellular

level and these cellular effects are linked to the induction of cancer.

Multistep modelling of carcinogenesis is used to take the link through to a

consideration of radiation risk. It is concluded that, from the point of view

of radiation mechanism, at very low doses the LNT hypothesis of radiation

action is valid, that is, the risk function has a positive slope from zero dose.