RE: Time out

John Jacobus wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: John Jacobus [mailto:crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 10:32 AM
To: Chilton, Milton W.; 'BERNARD L COHEN'; internet RADSAFE
Subject: RE: Time out

Milton,
I think if you review the mailings, you will see that Dr. Cohen has always been treated with respect.  Many disagree with his evaluation of the data, and have tried repetatively to point out problems that they think exists.  You should know that some individuals on this list are not health physicists, but epidemiologist whose job is to analyze data and evaluate results.  Dr. Cohen has been intransigent in his defense, which is his right.  I believe Dr. Cohen is willing to have the NCRP look into his data, which will hopefully provide some insight into the appropriateness of his data and analysis.  (Of course, there are some on this list who will never accept a result that contradicts their believes.)  Discourse is important in science to develop theroies and advance research, and should be fostered.

I believe all of the radiation issues are routinely discussed on this list, so none are being ignored.

John,

I guess I disagree with the assertion that Dr. Cohen has "always" been treated with respect in this discussion.  I have been deleting most of these messages after scanning, but recall one titled "Bogus Reward Offers" and many others somewhat less egregious, but still offensive.  I am not surprised that Dr. Cohen felt he was under personal attack.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.