Internet Master of Health Physics

I am writing to ask for comments from managers and professionals who recruit and hire Health Physicists and who are encountering the current shortage of academically trained HPs, particularly those with a Masters Degree.  Northwestern University, http://www.northwestern.edu , is planning an internet Professional Master of Health Physics program.  We are asking you to express your needs for a program that will prepare your recruits and give your employees an opportunity to earn a masters degree in Health Physics.

For most students, the program will require two years to complete.  Students will be able to log on to lectures at times that are convenient for them without leaving their jobs.  The program will be tailored to meet the needs of working Health Physicists and prepare them for ABHP certification.  All courses will be contemporary and taught in the term in which the course is offered by a recognized leader in the subject.  Herman Cember and I are on the proposed faculty.

This contemporary live approach makes the courses fresh and responsive to current events and will provide the students with an expert with whom they will be able to discuss each subject. This program will continue Northwestern's long standing tradition in Health Physics and will take into account the current needs in our country.

The tentative curriculum is:

Introduction to Health Physics,
Regulations and Compliance,
Case Studies in Health Physics,
Radiation Biology,
Dosimetry, and
Health Physics Instrumentation Laboratory.  This course must be taken live and will require one week on campus.

One or both of the following:
Industrial Hygiene and Environmental Control, or
Public Health Engineering.

One of the following:
Environmental Management,
Project Leadership, or
Technical Writing.

A minimum of one of the following:
Meteorology and Hydrology,
Transport Processes in Porous Media,
Environmental Impact Evaluation, or
Community Air Pollution.

For students deficient in statistics, one of the following must also be taken:
Introduction to Statistics,
Probability,
Statistics I,
Statistics II, or
Statistical Methods for Quality Improvement.

Will these courses provide the educational content your employees will need?  If you could add courses, what would you add?

Associate Dean Joseph Walsh has a number of questions that must be answered before a final commitment will be made to start the program.  One of my tasks is to work with Dean Walsh to determine the national need for degreed Health Physicists and how an internet program at Northwestern can best meet these needs.  The program must satisfy the high standards of both Northwestern University and the Health Physics community.

Please send your comments on the need for a high quality program to serve working HPs to Dean Walsh,
jwalsh@northwestern.edu or to me, port@northwestern.edu.  If you have any questions, please call me at 847-965-1999.  Your input is appreciated.

Thanks

Eli

Eli A. Port