Re: respiratory tract dose

At the risk of seeming more a "heel" than a "kind sole" [sic], it seems that you

should be hiring a qualified consultant for this, and in support of all those RSO

responsibilities that are beyond your qualifications.

If you are a member of the Health Physics Society, I point out that the HPS code of

ethics includes the statement, "Each member shall be a judge of his/her competence and

will not undertake any assignment beyond his/her abilities."  I assume that the AIHA

has a similar code of ethics.

If I were faced with an IH issue, I would consult the CIH whom we have on staff.  I

would caution any "kind sole" who is considering responding to this, that it's one

thing having a general discussion or steering a qualified person to an overlooked

reference.  It's quite another to be performing calculations for a licensing document

that the NRC will be using to determine whether this facility and its personnel can

safely handle the requested radioactive materials.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com