the health physics profession

> On a more serious note, this issue illustrates a fundamental flaw in the

health

> physics "profession;" our failure to establish and enforce professional

> standards.

Aside from the other negative comments directed towards other listmembers in

this email, which I will not address again, this sentence baffles me. First,

by the use of quotation marks, are you questioning the professionalism of

anyone who calls themselves a health physicist? And how can you say that the

health physics profession has not established nor practices enforcement of

any professional standards? This is clearly an untenable position.

I would argue that a more important fundamental personality flaw we struggle

with is the tendency to scare those outside the profession about

femtosievert doses to justify making money by studying and controlling

trivial or nonexistent risks.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 343-0068