RE: NRC Proposed Fine and Severity Level 1 Violation

I do not believe that a patient can be compelled to stay in isolation.  But if the patient wants treatment, they need to follow the hospital's rules and conditions.  Every medical facility that I know of involved with the treatment of patients for thyroid cancer using I-131 have programs in place and have no problems with patient compliance.

I am just surprised that the RSO and licensee would put their program at risk when some simple actions could have been taken.

"Flood, John" <FloodJR@NV.DOE.GOV> wrote:

> 1. If not already in place, develop a written policy statement regarding
> nuclear medicine patients who cannot be released under 10 CFR 35.75.

Perhaps I'm being a bit naïve here, but does the hospital have the legal
authority to compel a patient to stay? If the patient chooses to go home or
to hospice care, can the hospital prevent this? Would this be imprisoning a
person for medical reasons?

. . .

-- John
John Jacobus, MS