Richard's rant Re: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITALIN MICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC--

This whole thing is driving me crazy. Here's my rant on this.

I don't know the regulations, but I now have to sign that I've received a

copy of the privacy statement of every medical practitioner that I visit.

I would think that in the case of the family, a written explanation of the

risks and legal limits that they are allowed to receive, along with an

acknowledgement that they have read and understood it would be a start.

I think it important that this document explain how one transcontinental

flight might provide 1 mrem (or pick your number) plus natural backgound

ranges from x-y per year and a chest x-ray provides typically z. That's

what people want to know.

I think you'll get far more cooperation from an individual who can

understand what they're talking about. Don't talk down, but lay out the

spectrum as it were.

There seems to be much speculation about how much radioactivity the

visitors received. That's stupid since dosimeters seem to be readily

available and in comparison with the overall costs of hospital visits, the

loan of one would seem insignificant.

I think that it should be self-regulating in a terminal case. I don't think

security should be brought in to remove people once their dosimeters have

reached a certain level.

I also think that unless I've misunderstood something here, wearing an

extremity dosimeter would be fair-who the heck cares about how much

radiation the hand gets (in this range)?

The dosimeter should probably be belt, shirt pocket, or lapel worn.

Did I say it should have a direct readout. Reset at the beginning of the

visitor's first visit and allowed to accumulate during the entire time of

the visitor's stays. Heck, let them take it home with them. Maybe their

background radiation at home is less than the hospital.

At the beginning of each visit the RSO should read the dosimeter with the

visitor and discuss where things are and remind them of similar dosages

that they can understand.

Put this in perspective. People are willing to donate one of their two

kidneys to a loved one. Surely that is a risk to them, long term. Let the

visitor make an informed decision. Document the process of the decision.

I think the NRC has failed miserably in setting up usable procedures and

shouldn't blame the RSO.

Forward this to someone in a position at the NRC if you want.

Cheers,

Richard