Re: NRC Proposed Fine and Severity Level 1 Violation

No, but my response was unclear, and I apologize.

The regulations are in place and the RSO did not act to ensure that the license conditions were met.  The licensee gives the RSO the resources and authority to ensure the license conditions are met.  The RSO cannot say to the licensee, "I cannot enforce the regulations."  He cannot "pass the buck" back to the licensee.  Unfortunately, the licensee will be find due to the inactions of the RSO, who is their agent.

William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com> wrote:
I'm missing something, here.  Are you agreeing with me?
Bill

John Jacobus wrote:

Bill,The licensee is being fined, not the RSO.  It is the RSO's responsibility to implement the conditions of the license, but the licensee, the hospital, is ultimately responsible for non-compliance.

William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM> wrote:

I don't know. The RSO should make sure it's someone else's decision. The
policy should limit the RSO's responsibility to reporting the violation to
management and requesting their actions to regain compliance.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Flood, John" wrote:

> > 1. If not already in place, develop a written policy statement regarding
> > nuclear medicine patients who cannot be released under 10 CFR 35.75.
>
> Perhaps I'm being a bit naïve here, but does the hospital have the legal
> authority to compel a patient to stay? If the patient chooses to go home or
> to hospice care, can the hospital prevent this? Would this be imprisoning a
> person for medical reasons?

-- JohnJohn Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail: crispy_bird@yahoo.com