NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITAL IN MICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

Dear Radsafers:

I have been interested in this interchange, and am quite surprised that no one has strongly questioned the radiation dose range alleged by the NRC.  Having performed many hundreds of these calculations over the years (I had the "500 mrem rule"  years before anyone else in the country), I immediately thought that the dose numbers were highly inflated.  Due to the fact that we are not given the actual data of how long the most exposed member of the family was actually at the bedside, and have no real information about the patient's clearance rate of I-131, I made a number of calculations assuming several different situations.  I also made a measurement of the distance between the center of gravity of a patient lying in bed and the center of gravity of a visitor sitting at the bedside (that is, umbilicus to umbilicus).

I asked my husband to lie down in bed and I brought up a chair and sat beside him, facing him.  One cannot sit too close, because it is necessary to have room for your legs.  The measurement was several inches longer than my yardstick, or about a meter.  So, I will use one meter as the distance in these calculations.  Arguing that the family member was closer than that is difficult to substantiate with actual measurement.  Try it yourself.

I don't know why the patient died, but it may have been from complications of thyroid cancer or something unrelated.  Plenty of people die of thyroid cancer, but these are the people whose tumors no longer take up significant quantities of radioiodine.  The large dose given (285 mCi) suggests that this was a patient with a large tumor burden and a low, very low, or perhaps even indiscernible uptake of radioiodine but a high thyroglobulin.  The uptake in the tumor would probably have been negligible, and most probably no higher than a small fraction of 1 per cent.  Using the fact that NRC criticized the hospital for not shielding the urine bag, I assume that the urine bag held very radioactive urine, and that the patient therefore had renal function.

NRC is notorious for ignoring shielding and assuming that the patient is an unshielded point source.  (This was seen in 94 calculations performed in the infamous Indiana, PA Ir-192 HDR accident, and is also in the current NUREG 1556 vol. 9 assumptions).  However, the patient is a shielded line source (Siegel JA, Marcus CS, and Sparks RB, J Nucl Med 2002; 43:1241-1244), and the shielding correction for I-131 is a factor of 2.1 (Sparks RB, Siegel JA, and Wahl RL, Health Physics 1998; 75(4):385-388).   The NRC says it is being "conservative".  I call it a physics and mathematics "misadministration" of at least 100%, and in specific cases, up to at least 1000%.  What sort of "violation" and fine shall we give the NRC for such abuse of science?

While the NRC made a fuss about not keeping the member of the family behind a shield, what kind of shield was it?  While radiology departments use shields for the low energy of x-rays used, this shielding is not significantly useful for 364 kev photons of I-131.  Just how much protection would it have given?

My first calculation, using the method of NCRP no. 37, Appendix I,  assumes that virtually nothing goes to thyroid cancer tissue, wherever it is, and that the I-131 has a slowed renal excretion halftime characteristic of that seen in some hypothyroid patients (as the patient may well have been).  I assumed a renal clearance halflife of 12 hours.  I assumed that the most highly exposed family member was at the bedside 25% of each day for 6 days.  The effective halflife is 0.47 days.  Without taking into account radiation from the urine bag, which probably was emptied at least each shift, and would be about a meter away from the member of the family, the member of the family received approximately 120 mrem.  If the member was at the bedside 12 hours/day, that would be 240 mrem.  If, on the other hand, the patient was in complete renal failure and none of the I-131 was excreted in the urine, and none in the feces (this is not really true; a significant amount would come out in the feces in renal failure patients), and the patient was not on dialysis, a member of the family at the bedside would receive about 850 mrem if there for 25% of the time, or 1.7 rad if there 50% of the time.  Such a scenario is quite doubtful, because (1) we know that there was significant radioactivity in the urine bag, and (2) the radiation dose to the patient's marrow would probably have eventually been lethal, so no competent physician would have done this.

So, where does 3 to 15 rem come from? Nowhere credible.  As I see it, the member of the family elected to get a radiation dose that is judged safe for radiation workers, in order to be with a dying relative.  Seems reasonable to me.

It may be reasonable to point out that 10 CFR Part 20 includes the last sentence of 20.1001:  "However, nothing in this part shall be construed as limiting actions that may be necessary to protect health and safety."  I would sincerely argue that the mental health of the member of the family comes under this clause, and that the standards need not apply.  The care and peace of mind of the dying patient should be considered as well.  While I would go to great lengths to prevent a member of the family from receiving a dose that I know to be harmful, I don't see any reason to become hysterical about a dose that is about what a radiation worker may receive in a year, or significantly less.  In NCRP no. 37, it is recommended that family members over 45 not receive more than 5 rads from the patient.  I don't know how old the family member in question was, but clearly there are standards that would support much higher radiation doses than the NRC seems prepared to permit in extreme circumstances.

In Emergency Departments throughout the country, parents hold down screaming children with broken bones so that they can get an x-ray.  Is this minimizing dose to members of the public?  No, of course not, and so what?

This case is a perfect example of why the National Academy of Sciences-Institute of Medicine recommended in 1996 that NRC's medical program be eliminated, and the Atomic Energy Act changed to prevent NRC from ever interfering with medical and medical research uses of byproduct material again.

What has really happened?  A licensee gave adequate instructions to a member of the family who, in a circumstance that became impending death, decided not to take the licensee's advice.  Why fine anyone, or screech about "violations"?  None of this is important.  The family could have taken the patient out of the hospital the minute after the patient received the I-131, and the licensee could not have done anything about it, nor could the NRC.  Why is NRC making such a moral abortion out of this?  And why the inflated dose estimation?  And why are  the Commissioners doing nothing to stop this mindless, irrational, and dysfunctional use of power?  You all know what I think of the NRC.  Judge for yourself.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>